European Languages and Cultures
Become a bilingual citizen of the world at WA’s largest European language teaching centre
Immerse yourself in European languages and culture, and discover more about how we can communicate between languages.
Our students learn to see the world through new languages, become bilingual citizens of the world and move between cultures with ease. They learn to translate words and ideas between the European languages and cultures of French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Our teaching and research encompass the ways different languages and cultures have shaped modern Australia, and explore how the literature, history, film and art of European societies open up new understandings of what it is to be human and to function in human societies.
We offer 10 languages for study
The largest European language teaching centre in WA
Award-winning teachers, students and alumni
As the largest provider of language studies in WA, our research examines the political, social and cultural aspects of contemporary Europe with a particular focus on the French, German, Italian and Spanish languages. We learn about the intricacies of language and language history, and aim to drive our students to success.
Translation and Transcultural Research
Understanding the social and cultural issues of translation and multilingualism, migration, transcultural identity construction and communication.Read more
International exchange partners
We encourage students to study abroad and truly immerse themselves in the language and culture of their chosen language major. Studying at UWA will allow you access to international exchange programs and opportunities with local cultural associations. We offer connections to study with more than 15 institutions worldwide.
- University Lyon 3 Jean Moulin
- Sciences Po Lille
- Sciences Po Paris
- Sciences Po Grenoble
- University of Strasbourg
- University Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris 3
- University of Montreal
- Laval University
- Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Milan
- Bocconi University, Milan
- University of Bergamo
- Free University of Berlin
- Humboldt University
- RWTH Aachen
- Stuttgart Winter University
- University of Tubingen
- Autonomous University of Barcelona
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Local cultural associations
- Alliance Française
- Goethe Institut
- Dante Alighieri Society
- Instituto Cervantes
European Languages and Cultures courses
Community program and volunteers
We have an active program for European Languages and Cultures within the community. We are currently seeking volunteers in the following three areas:
- Foreign language speakers for out-of-class language practice.
- Promotion of languages at university events and school visits.
- Guest speakers who use languages in their professional lives.
If you would like to get involved, contact Professor John Kinder.
We have a generous range of European Languages and Cultures scholarships that enable students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level to focus on their studies.
- Sedgwick Languages Scholarship
- Centenary Trust for Women (CTW) Elizabeth Sarfaty Scholarship in Arts
- Stephen Dornan Scholarship in Undergraduate French Studies
- Leon Tauman Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship in French Studies
- I. and B. Jackson Postgraduate French Studies Scholarship
- Rene Levy Memorial Fund (French)
- Nicolas Baudin Program: "Internship in France" initiative
- Caterina and Pasqualino Strano Memorial Scholarship in Italian Language
View full scholarship information.
Contact the School of Humanities
Get in touch+61 8 6488 3404
Send an email@example.com
Find us on campusMap
Office hours 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday