South African National Certificate
The National Senior Certificate (NSC) is the school-leaving certificate in South Africa.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from students who have completed the NSC program. To be admitted to the University, you must:
- satisfy the University's English language competence requirement by satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects detailed in the table below
- achieve a sufficient number of points to be offered a place
- satisfy any prerequisite subject requirements for your chosen course and major
Minimum entry scores
NSC students must meet equivalent entry standards to other applicants. The following table provides an overview of the points considered equivalent to various Australian Tertiary Admission Ranks.
|6.0 to 6.1||92|
- The average of the achievement level for the six best subjects (excluding Life Orientation) is taken as the average.
- Point conversion: 80-100%=7, 70-75%=6, 60-65%=5, 50-55%=4, 40-50%=3, 30-40%=2, 0-29%.
- For results obtained before 2008 contact Admissions.
The following table shows NSC subject equivalents to WA Certificate of Education courses, which will satisfy course and major prerequisites.
|WACE Subject||NSC Equivalent|
|English||English Home Language; Achievement Level 5 or higher|
|Mathematics Applications||Mathematics; Achievement Level 3|
|Mathematics Methods||Mathematics; Achievement Level 4 or higher|
|Mathematics Specialist||No equivalent|
|Chemistry||Physical Sciences; Achievement Level 4 or higher|
|Physics||Physical Sciences; Achievement Level 4 or higher|
|Biology||Life Sciences; Achievement Level 4 or higher|
The University of Western Australia